Education for sustainable development
Our work on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) helps institutions and subject communities develop curricula and pedagogy that will give students the skills and knowledge to live and work sustainably.
Our ESD vision is that institutions and subject communities develop curricula and pedagogy that enhance graduates’ capabilities to contribute to sustainable and just societies.
Our ESD mission is to provide strategic leadership for education for sustainable development (ESD) in the HE sector.
Our ESD aims are:
- To make a leading contribution to evidence-informed development of ESD policy and practice across the HE sector.
- To build capacity amongst individuals, subject communities and institutions to embed ESD in curricula and pedagogy and support strategic change across the HE sector.
- To develop strategic and operational partnerships with key stakeholders across professional, business and community sectors.
- To stimulate the dissemination of ESD policy, research and practice across HE and the professions.
We have been working with the sector on education for sustainable development since 2005. We contribute to national policy development in ESD across the UK and work with partner organisations such as the Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges and the NUS. We also promote student involvement in ESD, as students are champions and potential change agents for sustainable development in higher education.
Our four programme areas are:
- Research and development to influence policy and practice
- Capacity building of individuals, communities and institutions
- Development of strategic cross-sector partnerships
- Stimulating dissemination.
We have many resources which you will find useful.