New to teaching
We support staff new to teaching whether they are full time or part time lecturers, postgraduates who teach or graduate teaching assistants. We provide both discipline specific and generic support in the form of workshops, resources and toolkits.
Most UK institutions now offer PG Cert (HE) courses to support new academic staff. Over the past few years, we have worked with course tutors and programmes leaders gathering and sharing information about subject specific resources to support new academic staff. We have worked collaboratively to:
- Explore the topics covered on initial courses in learning and teaching for new staff for which discipline-specific resources would be useful
- Develop lists of discipline-specific and general resources to provide a starting point for new academic staff.
- Involve experts in choosing and annotating the resources.
- Establish an online database to make available these resource lists in an easily searchable format.
- Develop ‘New to teaching toolkits’.
The Supporting New Academic Staff (SNAS) database contains resources to help new academic staff and course tutors.