Developing Inclusive Learning and Teaching
The widening participation agenda and equality legislation have contributed to an increasingly diverse student population in higher education.
We recognise that inclusive learning and teaching is a challenging issue: there can be confusion as to what constitutes inclusive teaching and learning; concern about how to develop inclusive learning and teaching policies and practices in specific contexts and disciplines; and some resistance to change.
This Summit Programme, offered in association with Equality Forward Scotland, aims to support institutional teams to:
- develop a deeper understanding of inclusive learning and teaching to support the success of all students in higher education;
- reflect on and review learning and teaching policy and/or practice within their institution in relation to supporting diversity, promoting inclusive learning and teaching and improving student retention and success;
- consider disciplinary differences and perspectives;
- informally benchmark institutional policy and/or practice with other institutions in the sector;
- identify, develop and implement an aspect of institutional change to improve inclusive learning and teaching;
- integrate evaluation into the process of change;
- engage others in the institution in the process of change;
- evaluate and reflect on outcomes and plan future activity.
To find out more about the work of the 15 institutions, please click on their names. Presentations, Reflective papers and related materials are available for download.
- Aston University
- Bangor University
- University of Bedfordshire
- University of Central Lancashire
- University of East London
- University College Falmouth
- UHI Millenium Institute
- Liverpool John Moores University
- University of Liverpool
- London South Bank University
- University of Northampton
- University of the West of Scotland
- University of Stirling
- University of Sunderland
- University of Winchester
- Start-up meeting presentation 1: Dr Helen May and Prof Liz Thomas
- Start-up meeting presentation 2: Prof Christine Hockings
- Residential programme 09-10 June 2009
- Residential resources: What is inclusive learning and teaching?
- Residential resources: Action planning and evaluation toolkit
- Residential resources: Inclusive learning and teaching resources for the summit
- Follow-up meeting agenda: 2 December 2009
- Follow-up meeting: Presentation Dr Helen May
- Follow-up meeting: Effectiveness of methods to implement inclusive practice
- Follow-up meeting resources: Tipping point
- Follow-up meeting resources: Guidelines for reflective paper