This toolkit complements the strategic direction set out in The Higher Education Academy’s (HEA) Framework for transforming assessment in higher education and offers tools for reflection and planning to help you embed the framework into policy and practice. Through this toolkit you can:
- Explore pedagogic research, teaching resources and case studies to inform your practice, including ideas and tips for getting started
- Hear from colleagues in the sector, for example through audio-visual material and HEA blog posts
Are you looking for resources relating to transforming assessment within the context of your subject area? This toolkit also collates HEA resources through the lens of the discipline clusters:
The HEA believes that it is time to significantly re-think assessment policy and practice, drawing on a wide body of scholarship and data to inform such changes. Transforming assessment requires attention to the following areas of focus:
- innovative assessments that are challenging, realistic, meaningful and promotes student learning;
- feedback practices that are integral to assessment and enable dialogue between students and with staff;
- self-assessment and peer assessment utilised within the curriculum to facilitate autonomy, reflection, evaluation, and collaborative working.
These areas are underpinned by, and developed with attention to, a set of tenets for transforming assessment.
The HEA offers a completely flexible and bespoke consultancy service across a range of areas, including transforming assessment in HE, as well as the other strategic priorities addressed through the HEA's framework series.