Which category is for you?
In deciding which category of Advance HE Fellowship to apply for at this stage in your career, you will need to determine which of the four Descriptors of the UKPSF is most appropriate to your practice and professional experience. Each Descriptor sets out the requirements for a category of Fellowship as below:
ASSOCIATE FELLOW (AFHEA)
Associate Fellowship is for you, if you are typically:
- an early-career researcher with some teaching responsibilities (e.g. PhD student, graduate training assistant, contract researcher/ post-doctoral researchers)
- new to HE teaching, have a limited teaching portfolio or teach part-time
- a member of staff who supports academic provision (e.g. learning technologist, learning developer and learning resource/library staff)
- a member of staff who undertakes the role of demonstrator/technician roles with some teaching-related responsibilities
- an experienced member of staff in a relevant professional area who may be new to teaching and/or supporting learning, or who have a limited teaching portfolio
Fellowship is for you, if you are typically:
- an early-career academic
- in an academic-related and/or support role holding substantive teaching and learning responsibilities
- an experienced academic, relatively new to higher education.
- a member of staff with, sometimes significant, teaching-only responsibilities, including for example, within work-based settings
SENIOR FELLOW (SFHEA)
Senior Fellowship is for you, if you are typically:
- an experienced member of academic staff who is able to demonstrate impact and influence through, for example, responsibility for leading, managing or organising programmes for subjects/disciplines
- an experienced subject mentor or someone who supports those new to teaching
- an experienced member of staff with departmental and/or wider teaching/learning support advisory responsibilities within your institution
PRINCIPAL FELLOW (PFHEA)
Principal Fellowship is for you, if you are typically:
- a highly experienced senior member of staff with wide-ranging academic or academic-related strategic leadership responsibilities in connection with key aspects of teaching and supporting learning
- responsible for institutional strategic leadership and policymaking in the area of teaching and learning
- staff who have strategic impact and influence in relation to teaching and learning that extends beyond their own institution
How to apply
Applications are made online by logging into MyAcademy. Check your account details are correct so that you receive email correspondence. The application process is different depending on the category of Fellowship you wish to apply for. For Associate Fellow and Fellow the application consists of an Account of Professional Practice (APP), two supporting statements from referees and payment of a fee where applicable. If you are applying for Senior Fellow (SFHEA) or Principal Fellow (PFHEA) there are additional application requirements. To start your application, click 'Find out more' for the relevant category to you and request an information pack.
If you have successfully completed an Advance HE accredited course, for example, a Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) in teaching and learning or a continuing professional development (CPD) programme, you are eligible for Advance HE Fellowship.
You will be informed by your programme leader if your course is accredited by Advance HE.
If you have completed a course and you are not employed by a subscribing institution your Fellowship award is subject to a fee.
If you are an Advance HE accredited CPD programme/scheme leader you will need to apply on behalf of your course participants after their successful completion of the programme, through the MyAcademy portal. Simply log in to MyAcademy and follow the online instructions.
As a programme leader you may be contacted by individuals who have completed Higher Education Academy accredited courses or programmes and asked to be registered for Fellowship via MyAcademy.
Application fees 2017/18
Application fees vary depending on the route you take to Fellowship, with individuals from subscribing instutions benefiting from discounted fees.
|Accredited Provision (individual from a subscribing institution - strategic or accredited)||Accredited Provision (individual from a non-subscribing institution)||Direct application to Advance HE (individual from a subscribing institution - strategic or accredited)||Direct application to Advance HE (individual from a non-subscribing institution)|
|Associate Fellow||No cost||£100||£100||£200|
|Senior Fellow||No cost||£300||£300||£600|
|Principal Fellow||No cost||£500||£500||£1000|
Individuals who have successfully completed an Advance HE accredited course can apply for Advance HE Fellowship by making a request to their programme leader where they studied to enter their details in the respective institution’s accredited provision section in the Higher Education Academy’s MyAcademy.
How the application is reviewed
All applications for Advance HE Fellowships are appraised by experienced peer reviewers, chosen for their extensive knowledge and practice of review in teaching and learning. They include specialist educators and expert practitioners across disciplines.
Applications for AFHEA and FHEA will be reviewed by two peer reviewers while applications to SFHEA and PFHEA will be reviewed by three peer reviewers. Successful applicants enjoy a host of benefits on gaining Advance HE Fellowship, so we recommend that you consider the Guide to Fellowship and FAQs carefully before submitting your application.
Please complete the form below to request an information pack, including FAQs and more information about applying for fellowship.