Is Fellowship for you?
We have identified the roles and experience for which people applying for Fellowship typically have below:
- in the early stages of your academic career
- in an academic-related and/or support role holding substantive teaching and learning responsibilities
- an experienced academic relatively new to higher education
- a member of staff with (sometimes significant) teaching-only responsibilities including, for example, within work-based settings
If you feel that you are working within this category download your Fellow guidance pack to find out more about how to apply.
The UKPSF and Fellowship
Fellowship is awarded to professionals who can demonstrate they meet the criteria of Descriptor 2 (D2) of the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF) for teaching and supporting learning in higher education. By applying to be a Fellow of HEA individuals are able to engage with a broad understanding of effective approaches to learning and teaching support as a key contribution to high quality student learning and demonstrate:
- successful engagement across all five Areas of Activity;
- appropriate knowledge and understanding across all aspects of Core Knowledge;
- a commitment to all the Professional Values;
- successful engagement in appropriate teaching practices related to the Areas of Activity;
- successful incorporation of subject and pedagogic research and/or scholarship within the above activities, as part of an integrated approach to academic practice;
- successful engagement in continuing professional development in relation to teaching, learning, assessment and where appropriate, related professional practices.
Download your Fellow guidance pack to find out more and commence your application.
Applying and application fees 2018/19
There are various application routes for Fellowship, they are made in writing and need to be supported by written references. Find out more about the available application routes. To start your application download the guidance pack which contains more information on Fellowship and directions of the next steps that you need to take. We will also email this pack to you.
Application fees vary depending on the route you take to Fellowship, with individuals from subscribing instutions benefiting from discounted fees.
|Accredited Provision (individual from a subscribing institution)||Accredited Provision (individual from a non-subscribing institution)||Direct application to Advance HE (individual from a subscribing institution)||Direct application to Advance HE (individual from non-subscribing institution)|
Meet some of our Fellows
I am now very proud of the title of HEA Fellow. It has definitely boosted my confidence as a lecturer and has boosted the recognition of my professional career. My Fellowship title has also been acknowledged by several colleagues within my institution whom have kindly congratulated me!
Being recognised for teaching makes a big difference and opens doors. It gets your work taken more seriously. Without HEA Fellowship, my job would have been so much more difficult.
Advance HE is useful because it provides a framework for career development tied to enhancing education quality. Even those who do have strong natural teaching abilities can benefit from guidance to calibrate their teaching methods with current research on the quality-enhanced approaches.