Is Senior Fellowship for you?
Are you an individual able to provide evidence of a sustained record of effectiveness in relation to teaching and learning, incorporating for example, the organisation, leadership and/or management of specific aspects of teaching and learning provision? Such individuals are likely to lead or be members of established academic teams. Typically, those likely to be eligible to apply for Senior Fellowship are:
- experienced staff able to demonstrate, impact and influence through, for example, responsibility for leading, managing or organising programmes, subjects and/or disciplinary areas;
- experienced subject mentors and staff who support those new to teaching;
- experienced staff with departmental and/or wider teaching and learning support advisory responsibilities within an institution.
If you feel that you are working within this category download your Senior Fellow guidance pack to find out more about how to apply.
The UKPSF and Senior Fellowship
Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy is awarded to professionals who demonstrate they meet the criteria of Descriptor 3 (D3) of the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF) for teaching and supporting learning in higher education.
By applying to be a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy you will present a thorough understanding of effective approaches to teaching and learning support as a key contribution to high quality student learning. You should be able to provide evidence of:
- Successful engagement across all five Areas of Activity;
- Appropriate knowledge and understanding across all aspects of Core Knowledge;
- A commitment to all the Professional Values;
- Successful engagement in appropriate teaching practices related to the Areas of Activity;
- Successful incorporation of subject and pedagogic research and/or scholarship within the above activities, as part of an integrated approach to academic practice;
- Successful engagement in continuing professional development in relation to teaching, learning, assessment, scholarship and, as appropriate, related academic or professional practices;
- Successful coordination, support, supervision, management and/or mentoring of others (whether individuals and/or teams) in relation to learning and teaching.
Download your Senior Fellow guidance pack to find out more and commence your application.
Applying and application fees 2016/17
There are various application routes for Fellowship, they are made in writing and need to be supported by written references. Find out more about the available application routes. To start your application download the guidance pack which contains more information on Fellowship and directions of the next steps that you need to take. We will also email this pack to you.
Application fees vary depending on the route you take to Fellowship, with individuals from subscribing instutions benefiting from discounted fees.
|Accredited Provision (individual from a subscribing institution)||Accredited Provision (individual from a non-subscribing institution)||Direct application to the HEA (individual from a subscribing institution)||Direct application to the HEA (individual from non-subscribing institution)|
Meet some of our Senior Fellows
The reflective process you go through as you contemplate your career and evaluate what you’ve done is thoroughly worthwhile. I’m proud to say that I am a HEA Senior Fellow and I’m proud of the part played in my successful application by my work in student engagement.
I think the most important thing that I’ve got out of being a Senior Fellow is the external recognition you receive from your peers. It gives you a profile. What’s interesting is that people ask me for advice in terms of teaching and learning. People know you are interested in pedagogy and will help support them.
Becoming a Senior Fellow has really had an impact on what I do. It’s given me the space to really focus on my teaching. As Director of Undergraduate Studies for my School, it means that I can work with my colleagues, especially those newer to teaching, to give them the support and encouragement they need to run with new ideas outside of normal practice.
Events to support Senior Fellowship
The Higher Education Academy run and support a range of events, providing the opportunity to receive expert advice for applying for Fellowship, as well as training which can be used as evidence to support your Fellowship application.