Creating opportunities for your development
Advance HE supports individual professional development to raise the quality and status of your teaching, allowing staff to keep up to date with the best practice in learning and teaching.
With you can enhance your own teaching practice and gain international recognition as a high quality teaching professional by:
- Becoming a Fellow of Advance HE, an internationally recognised badge of professional success;
- Access to a global teaching and learning community and networks;
- Completion of training courses run by Advance HE will develop your strategic thinking and leadership.
Advance HE Fellowship demonstrates a personal and institutional commitment to professionalism in learning and teaching in higher education. Across four categories, from Associate to Principal, Fellowship provides individuals with recognition of their practice, impact and leadership of teaching and learning. Advance HE Fellowships are embedded in the UK and have been adopted by increasing numbers of higher education institutions globally, from the Americas to Australasia.
With more than 100,000 Fellows across the world, Advance HE Fellowship is an internationally recognised badge of professional success for those who teach and support learning in higher education.
Fellowship brings you a range of benefits:
- Consolidates personal development and evidence of professional practice in your higher education career;
- Provides a valuable measure of success and is increasingly recognised by international institutions;
- Demonstrates commitment to teaching, learning and the student experience, through engagement in a practical process that encourages research, reflection and development;
- Fellowship is increasingly sought by employers across the education sector as a condition of appointment and promotion;
- For individuals, to identify their expertise with the entitlement to use post-nominal letters (AFHEA, FHEA, SFHEA, PFHEA);
- Provides institutional assurance that Fellowships are an important indicator that your institution is fully aligned with Professional Standards Framework (PSF) practice and a badge of assured quality throughout your institution.
The four categories of Fellowship
There are four categories of Fellowship, these are:
For staff new to teaching or with some responsibility to support.
For staff who are established and have a broad base in learning and teaching and who can provide evidence of their effectiveness through reflection.
For staff who have a sustained record of effectiveness in relation to learning and teaching through leadership and management of aspects of learning and teaching provision.
For highly experienced staff with a sustained and effective record of impact at a strategic level in relation to learning and teaching, within and beyond their institution.
Our Fellowship Category Tool has been designed to help you reflect on your practice
After you have answered a series of choice questions, which will take around 10-20 minutes, you will be shown your results and a PDF report summarising your responses will be sent to you. You will be able to use this to understand which category of Fellowship most closely reflects your current practice and to reflect on your ongoing professional development and career aspirations.
Advance HE professional developement and training programmes can be tailored to reflect a particular discipline or challenging area. They are linked to the Professional Standards Framework (PSF) and support those aiming for the global recognition of Advance HE Fellowship.
CERTIFICATE IN LEARNING AND TEACHING IN HIGHER EDUCATION (CLTHE) - Flagship Programme
A professional development programme that provides staff with a comprehensive understanding of the theory and practice of teaching and learning in higher education. It is designed to support staff who are experts in their subject area, but who may have limited formal training in teaching and learning. The certificate is linked to the PSF, meaning that those completing the programme will be well placed to apply for Fellowship of Advance HE.
CERTIFICATE IN LEADING LEARNING AND TEACHING IN HIGHER EDUCATION (LLTHE) - Flagship Programme
Designed for staff in leadership and executive roles responsible for education, teaching, learning and the student experience. It focuses on the management of leadership of teaching, specifically on topics such as leading innovation, managing change and managing teaching performance.
The certificate is linked to the PSF and provides evidence for participants to apply to become Senior Fellows of Advance HE. It may be delivered in its standard format or in conjunction with an institution to address its specific needs – as Advance HE did in collaboration with The University of Hong Kong (HKU).
ACADEMIC LEADERSHIP PROGRAMME – SUPPORTING THE ‘NEXT GENERATION’ OF ACADEMIC LEADERS - Flagship Programme
The emphasis of the Academic Leadership Programme is on future leadership, reinforcing Advance HE’s belief that leadership can be demonstrated at any level and is value-driven, not hierarchical, in nature.
The programme is designed specifically for the aspiring academic leaders including heads of department, heads of academic sections or their equivalent and moves away from management training practices, towards instilling and supporting the values needed for effective leadership roles in alignment with the PSF.
Plus choose from Advance HE programmes and events around the following areas:
Online training courses
Anticipating the time pressures of working life, participants are now able to engage with Advance HE training remotely through the new Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), providing access to tutors and course materials online. Courses focus on key issues such as transforming assessment and feedback, and leading through change. They offer the benefit of networking with an international cohort of colleagues, whilst providing a cost effective way of improving teaching skills.
Advance HE Fellowship Workshops
Advance HE offers workshops to help you apply for Fellowship, by reflecting on your practice and development needs, as well as sharing good practice. The workshops can be delivered face-to-face, virtually or via a blended approach, to suit requirements.
Enhancing Student Success Workshops
These workshops, provide the opportunity for you to engage in one of the Advance HE frameworks that underpin student success, understanding its rationale and content, and how to apply it in practice. Each framework provides a reference point for your institution to review and enhance policies and practice across a range of disciplines, modes of study and international contexts:
- Transforming Assessment and Feedback
- Embedding Employability
- Student Access, Retention, Attainment and Progression
- Student Engagement through Partnership
- Internationalising Higher Education
- Flexible Leaning in Higher Education.
Teaching Skills Masterclasses
Designed to address your needs. For example:
- getting started in your first teaching role
- preparing to lead learning and teaching
- innovative pedagogies in particular disciplines
- curriculum design
- encouraging active learning
- enhancing learning through technology.