Degree Standards - Professional Development and Calibration for the External Examining System in the UK
The project on degree standards, running from 2016 to 2021, is being managed by HEFCE on behalf of the devolved administrations. HEFCE have contracted the Higher Education Academy (HEA) to work across all four nations to facilitate a sector-owned development process focusing on the professional development for external examiners. The project has two interrelated parts:
- Working with a range of higher education providers to design and pilot generic professional development for external examiners
- Exploring different forms of calibration exercises with subject associations and Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Bodies (PSRBs)
Higher Education Academy framework for transforming assessment
A shared point of reference for the sector
Our framework for transforming assessment in higher education is an integral part of the HEA frameWORKS series. Developed with the sector for the sector, the series covers key thematic priorities that impact upon the quality of teaching and learning in HE. HEA frameWORKS provide a shared point of reference and common language to shape and review policy, process and practice in order to enhance student success.
“The Higher Education Academy frameworks are evidence-based and provide the higher education sector with a national reference point to enable the institution to develop its own approach according to local circumstances as well as benchmarking performance.” Universities UK (2016), p.73, Working in partnership: enabling social mobility.
Has your school, faculty or institution identified this as a key strategic priority?
The HEA, through it's four step process: conceptualising; planning and preparation; implementation, delivery and monitoring, and; completion and closure; can help you to:
- Identify areas of strength and areas for improvement
- Deliver solutions-based change aimed at tackling your issues
- Review the success of any initiatives against KPIs and global frameworks
Key HEA Research
- Birmingham Assessment for Learning Initiative (BALI)
- Feedback on feedback: Student responses to tutors after receiving feedback
- Grade point average: Report of the GPA pilot project 2013-14
- Policy Works: Recommendations for reviewing policy to manage unacceptable academic practice in higher education
HEA Knowledge HUB
Explore our extensive range of resources to improve teaching and enhance learning. Pinpoint exactly what you want by using our range of specialist filters.
Upcoming assessment events
Debate key issues, share best practice, inspire change
We are committed to working with you to address your challenges and strategic priorities. Our events are designed so you can, explore these priorities, build on your existing knowledge, share your expertise, boost your professional networks, develop a range of practical solutions and stay ahead of the curve.