This toolkit complements the strategic direction set out in The Higher Education Academy’s (HEA) Framework for flexible learning in higher education and offers materials for reflection and planning to help you embed the framework into policy and practice. Through this toolkit you can:
- Explore pedagogic research, teaching resources and case studies to inform your practice, including ideas and tips for getting started
- Hear from colleagues in the sector, for example through conference papers and HEA blog posts
Are you looking for resources relating to flexible learning within the context of your subject area? This toolkit also collates HEA resources through the lens of the discipline clusters:
The HEA believes that flexible learning is about offering students choice in how, what, when and where they learn; the pace, place and mode of delivery. It focuses on four areas where flexibility can be enhanced:
- Technology enhanced learning: including mobile learning, learning spaces, digital literacy and learning analytics.
- Employment: including work-based and work-placed learning, flexible working and the global context.
- Institutional systems and structures: including administrative, financial and support systems, as well as academic regulations and processes.
- Pedagogical approaches: including learning, teaching and assessment methods.
The HEA offers a completely flexible and bespoke consultancy service across a range of areas, including flexible learning in HE, as well as the other strategic priorities addressed through the HEA's framework series.