The quality of teaching in higher education has never been more important. This has created an opportunity to raise the profile of teaching, promote, and develop our diverse sector’s reputation for teaching excellence.
The Higher Education Academy can support you by working in partnership to promote teaching excellence in your institution and deliver effective change that in turn positively impacts on core metrics and key performance indicators. Our consultancy support helps you address key priorities at institutional, faculty, departmental, service or programme level and extends across all aspects of learning and teaching including:
- Embedding employability into your curriculum and the broader student experience
- Transforming assessment policy and practice to enhance student learning
- Maximising student retention and targeting positive outcomes for all students
- Supporting you to deliver, review and design effective curricula to enhance student success
- Encouraging and rewarding excellent teaching through staff development & cultural change
- Leading and managing change in your institution, ensuring strategic priorities are embedded.
Tailoring your priorities across specific disciplines
Whether you're working with us across a range of disciplines or within a specific disciplinary area (Arts and Humanities, Health and Social Care, Social Sciences, STEM), we will shape our services to meet your needs.
Working together to address your priorities
Delivering effective change
The Higher Education Academy will work with you to deliver practical solutions to address your priorities. Whether you're looking to realise opportunities at a broad institutional or faculty level, or to enhance teaching in specific departments or programmes, we will work with you to identify the appropriate approach - whether that is focused intervention or a blended approach.
How you help to prepare graduates for life beyond university is something at the forefront not just of students’ minds, but also those of their parents. HEA consultancy can help you address your strategic priorities and enhance student success.
Assessment has a vital impact on staff time, university reputations, league tables and, most important of all, students’ future lives. It is at the heart of many challenges faced by higher education providers today. Higher Education Academy consultancy can help you address your strategic priorities and enhance student success.
HEA can work with you to improve student retention by providing new insights from staff and students; reviewing and developing curricula, student support mechanisms and staff to increase student engagement and retention, and measuring the impact of your activities and interventions.
Are you TEF-ready?
We offer a range of services to assist you in promoting teaching excellence - particularly for UK-based providers preparing a Teaching Excellence Framework submission or reviewing TEF outcomes.
Our Consultancy Team has worked with a range of higher education institutions, including:
Meeting your strategic goals
How we work
Whether it's a focused intervention or sustainable and transformational institution-wide change, we'll shape our support to your particular needs and circumstances.
What we offer
We offer a range of diagnostic tools and services, delivered onsite and/or online, helping you to analyse and benchmark your current performance against one or more of the HEA frameworks.
We will assist you in embedding your priorities through a number of interventions designed to strengthen the skills and knowledge of your staff.
Curriculum Review and Development
- Ensure that curricula maximises opportunities to retain students
- Improve student experience and retention metrics
- Easy adoption by staff as they have been involved in the process
Masterclasses and Workshops
- Understand the reasons why students leave
- Explore current best practice and consider strategies that can make a difference
- Ensure your staff teach for retention
- Staff can deliver practical changes within your institution
- Collaborative approach is likely to deliver more consistent impact
Teaching Excellence Programme
- Improved teaching practice, knowledge and expertise of innovative teaching methods for your staff
- Develop a deeper understanding of student retention and assessment
- Receive a clear picture on where you currently stand
- See how your current approaches compare to others
- Identify current strengths and needs for future development
- Address your performance in key metrics
Strategic Enhancement Programme
- End to end support to tackle major institutional challenges
- Institution-wide change to engage staff and students
Our evaluative tools and services are aligned to one or more HEA frameworks and are delivered online, supporting you to assess impact and sustain quality into the future.
Supporting student success
Best practice frameworks developed with the sector for the sector
The issues affecting student success can be broad and complex, however having a shared point of reference and common language to discuss, shape and review policy, process and practice can be an extremely effective way of applying a consistent methodology to leading change. This is equally applicable at institutional level as it is at faculty, departmental, programme or individual levels. Our frameWORKS series covers the key thematic priorities that impact upon the quality of learning and teaching in higher education.
“The Higher Education Academy frameworks are evidence-based and provide the higher education sector with a national reference point to enable the institution to develop its own approach according to local circumstances as well as benchmarking performance.” Universities UK (2016), p.73, Working in partnership: enabling social mobility.
The HEA will work with you to deliver practical solutions to address other priorities. Whether you're looking to realise opportunities at a broad institution or faculty level, or to enhance teaching in specific departments or programmes, select either a focused intervention or a blended approach across the three stages (diagnostic, delivery, impact).
“The support from the HEA has been crucial to the success of the project. Meetings provided a clear framework for our activities and prompted steps that we may otherwise have missed. Discussions with our HEA consultant have been invaluable for encouraging reflection at key stages and have ensured momentum.”
Dr Christine Rogers, Reader in Psychology and Faculty Lead for Employability, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, University of Manchester
“The main benefit was the rigour to the training session that the HEA consultant provided. This made participants feel more confident. The HEA consultant was excellent - she facilitated the session extremely well, dealing with queries and questions effectively and utilising her extensive knowledge of the process”
Dr Kerry Dobbins, Professional Development Adviser, University of Leicester
"The HEA are really good partners. They understand Bahrain, they understand the Middle East, and our issues. They do not provide something off the shelf...their people have great energy, great experiences and are a pleasure to work with."
Cameron Mirza, Head of Projects, Higher Education Council, Kingdom of Bahrain