Leading Transformation in Learning and Teaching
Leading transformation and innovation
Leading Transformation in Learning and Teaching (LTLT) enables participants to enhance the skills, approaches and insights needed to lead course and programme teams through processes of transformation and innovation. Split into three modules held over the course of three months and run by the Higher Education Academy in association with the Leadership Foundation (LFHE), it is aimed at those with an interest in curriculum design and the transformation of learning and teaching within their institutions, faculties and departments.
“Leading Transformation in Learning and Teaching attracts a lot of people with responsibilities whose institutions have decided to change radically, and who want to support those changes. We also attract people who have been promoted, or are new, to being a course director and who want to find out more.” - Steve Outram - Director of the LTLT programme and HEA Associate
The LTLT programme focuses on three key areas:
- Increasing your practical and critical understanding of academic leadership and collaborative change in the context of learning and teaching
- Giving you the confidence to engage with, influence and motivate colleagues with the intention of contributing towards new course development and delivery
- Encouraging you, together with other members of your team, to be more aware of your own strengths
- An opportunity to support and guide your staff at times of radical transformation and change
- Support staff recently promoted to course director positions
- Split into three modules held over the course of three months, so as to complement employer timetable and resources
- Investment in the continuing professional development of your staff
For more course information or to get started enquire now below.
Secure your place
More about this course
Leading Transformation in Learning and Teaching (LTLT) enables participants to enhance the skills, approaches and insights needed to lead course and programme teams through processes of transformation and innovation.
During the programme participants can:
- share experiences of academic leadership in the specific context of learning and teaching;
- consider the nature and forms of pedagogical transformation and innovation, and what makes it work;
- understand what makes for success in collaborative change processes;
- explore ways of motivating and inspiring academic colleagues;
- learn from current good practice in engaging students in curriculum development;
- carry out a 'transformation pilot initiative' in their own institutional setting, with support from other participants on the programme.
LTLT has been developed in collaboration with the Leadership Foundation (LFHE) for individuals with an interest in curriculum design and the transformation of learning and teaching within their institutions, faculties and departments. It is of particular value to course directors, programme leaders, assistant heads of department, taught course directors, departmental directors of teaching and associate deans (learning and teaching).
The LTLT programme is aligned to UKPSF standards and can be used as evidence towards Senior Fellowship.
“I learned a very great deal about investment by stakeholders, partnership with students, and the crucial importance of negotiation in relation to the curriculum, besides much else. This is the most exciting, and exacting, leadership course I have ever undertaken."
LTLT programme participant James Kelly, Senior Tutor at Queen’s College, Cambridge.
Leading Transformation in Learning and Teaching gives a high level of flexibility in booking with the option to take the full programme, Module 1 only or Module 1 & 2 combined. There will also be two follow-up online action-learning sets for those who choose the full programme.
Module One – Getting Started
- Leading Quality Enhancement
- Leading through Collaboration and Inquiry (live case study)
Module One begins with an exploration of academic leadership and the skills needed to lead learning and teaching.
Module Two – Getting Going
- Leading Engagement and Challenge
Picking up the discussions, methods and techniques from the first module the group will develop the theme of ‘full-engagement. For those undertaking the full programme (all three modules plus action-learning), participants will be given the opportunity to start considering a work-based transformational initiative of their own to be carried out over subsequent months.
Module Three – Going Forward
This module focuses primarily on supporting the progress and impact of the Transformation Pilots.
Action Learning Sets
“Action Learning is a continuous process of learning and reflection that happens with the support of a group or ‘set’ of colleagues working with real problems with the aim of getting things done.”
- Ian McGill and Liz Beaty, Action Learning: a guide, 2001
Across Leading Transformation in Learning and Teaching there will be an over-arching emphasis on networking, sharing ideas and experiences and building professional relationships.
Throughout the programme the attention of participants will be drawn to the rich range of resources available from both the Leadership Foundation and the Higher Education Academy (HEA) and their networks.
Why do the full programme?
We would encourage applicants, where possible, to undertake the whole programme. This will provide the opportunity for a more extended learning experience interspersed with time for both reflection and the application of ideas.
York Science Park,
What previous participants have said:
“I now have invaluable tools to visualise, plan, communicate and influence change, with immediate effect in curriculum design in our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.”
"I learned a very great deal about investment by stakeholders, partnership with students, and the crucial importance of negotiation in relation to the curriculum and much else besides. This is the most exciting (and exacting) leadership course I have ever undertaken."
|Module 1: Getting Started||16 -17 March, 2017|
|Module 2: Getting Going||20 April, 2017|
|Module 3: Going Forward||18 May, 2017|
Action Learning Sets (full programme only)
Participants can choose whether to take the full programme, Module 1 only or Module 1 & 2 combined.
|LFHE Member/HEA Subscribing institution (Strategic and Access Partners)||Non-LFHE Member/ HEA Subscribing institution (Accredited Partner)||LFHE/HEA Non-subscriber|
|Module 1 only||£1,320||£1,700||£2,200|
|Module 1 & 2 only||£1,740||£2,260||£2,900