The Higher Education Academy’s Principal Fellow Writing Retreat is an invaluable opportunity to escape life’s interruptions and progress with your application to become a HEA Principal Fellow, receiving expert analysis and feedback in the process. Held over one day, the retreat offers you the chance to transform your rough notes and thoughts into an application that matches the HEA’s strict criteria for Principal Fellowship.
HEA Principal Fellowship recognises your substantial strategic responsibilities in teaching and influence within the higher education sector, showing that you have met the external verification and accreditation process.
The HEA’s Principal Fellow Writing Retreat enables you to engage in some critical reflection about your professional practice and strategic leadership in higher education. It will provide you with an opportunity to discuss experiences with others in the process of completing their own Principal Fellowship applications. The retreat also allows time and space to process your thoughts and draft that all-important narrative for your Principal Fellowship submission.
“The Principal Fellow Writing Retreat is a golden opportunity to get away from emails, phone calls and other unexpected interruptions and focus on your own endeavours and the impact you have made on the student learning process, not to mention your colleagues and institution,” says Professor Sally Bradley, the HEA’s Academic Lead for Professional Learning and Development. “We spend so much time supporting others, but rarely stop and reflect on our own achievements. This retreat gives you the chance to do that.”
The retreat includes a briefing on what becoming a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy entails, plus group discussions and one-to-one advice and guidance about completing your application. The day’s agenda follows a flexible format catering to the needs of those attending.
“The retreat is designed for you to take time on your own to flesh out what you think the application means to you, to receive advice about it, then to take some more time to compare it with others who are there,” says Erica Joslyn of the University of Suffolk, who attended a previous retreat. “It’s all about building an understanding of what you need to do for your application. What I ended up with – and what I was successful with – was completely different from what I’d started out doing.”
The Principal Fellow Writing Retreat is intended for small groups. Space is therefore limited, so booking early is advisable.
This event has already taken place.
Who should attend?
Anyone who is a strategic leader in learning and teaching with institutional responsibilities looking to attain Principal Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
Who is delivering the writing retreat?
The retreat will be led by Professor Sally Bradley, the HEA’s Academic Lead for Professional Learning and Development.
HEA Fellowship is an international recognition of a commitment to professionalism in teaching and learning in higher education and demonstrates that your practice is aligned with the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF).
To date over 95,000 individuals have become Fellows of the HEA.
Benefits to the attendee
- An opportunity to find time and space to build the narrative of your Principal Fellowship application
- On-hand advice, encouragement and expertise ensuring that the information going into that application is the right information
- The chance to share ideas with others also seeking to become HEA Principal Fellows
- The opportunity to enhance your continuing professional development
- Held at a centrally located venue with good transport links over the course of just one day, so as to complement your academic schedule
Benefits to the institution
- An opportunity for you to proactively invest in the continuing professional development of your staff, something they will appreciate and your students will in turn benefit from
- Demonstrates your commitment to learning and teaching by taking part in the external verification and accreditation process associated with HEA Principal Fellowship status
- Held over the course of just one day, so as to complement your timetable and resources
- The course can, on request, also be run as an in-house training session at your institution
Innovation Way, York Science Park, Heslington, York, Y010 5BR
'Sally is an excellent facilitator and really encourages you to apply (and to get writing!)... It was all very good and very useful... thank you for such a lovely day!'
Those who have attended previous writing retreats have told us that they are 'well organised', 'well run' and 'very helpful', so don't miss out!