The Higher Education Academy has developed a full suite of training and coaching opportunities to support your personal and professional development in your learning and teaching career. Whatever your discipline specialism or institutional context we hope you will find something of interest in our programme. Following feedback from the sector, we are now able to offer even more ways to engage with us, including:
What makes the
Higher Education Academy unique
We provide your staff with development opportunities which are aligned to the internationally recognised Professional Standard Framework (PSF) and so participation in these programmes contributes valuable evidence in personal HEA Fellowship applications. Our professional development is created and delivered by both experts within the HEA and with our extensive network of consultants from the sector. This fosters an environment for exploring novel concepts and innovative pedagogies. All of our training has been designed complement your insitution's own workforce development activity and to address the teaching needs of individuals at relevant points in their career.
Workshops focus on detailed aspects of professional practice in relation to discipline-specific needs and sector themes. These include: Getting to grips with the specifics of assessment, retention, employability, academic writing, pedagogical research, teaching international students and simulation.
Career defining opportunities
We run a number of well established residential programmes aimed to support Programme Leaders up to Vice-Chancellors in developing their own and their institutions teaching quality. These courses provide individuals with a setting to:
- explore changes within the sector;
- develop confidence and skills;
- develop leadership skills;
- share their best practice with peers.
Our open programmes
- Starting 15 January 2019 - Teaching Excellence Programme (TEP)
- Starting 23 January 2019 or 22 May 2019 - Leading Transformation in Learning and Teaching (LTLT)
- Starting 6 February 2019 - Deans' Development Programme (DDP)
Programmes we also deliver
We are able to deliver any of our programmes within your institution, find out about our in-house delivery here.
Are you unsure what is the best next step for you?
If you need advice on the next steps in your professional development we can help. Our FREE consultation service uses your career aspirations, experience and your current role to provide you with support and guidance to help you make the right choice.
We can help you to make an informed decision:
- 1 to 1 consultation with a friendly advisor
- Guidance for all roles in teaching and learning in HE, from technicians to Vice-Chancellors
- Help to identify your development needs, whether you are looking to develop in your role, have a particular challenge or are striving for a promotion.
We can provide your staff with development opportunities delivered within your institution, with a number of benefits:
- It’s cost-effective and you benefit from economies of scale
- You’re in control. We come to a location of your choice, you choose the dates, times and schedule
- We focus on your needs, making the training specific to you and your organisation’s priorities, its unique culture and challenges
- It brings your staff together, improving internal networking between and across teams and departments
The in-house training programmes are based on open HEA programmes that can be brought into your institution to address your specific needs. They can be tailored to tackle particular areas of staff development, working with you to build a programme which will be beneficial to both your staff and your institution.
Coaching is separate and distinct from mentoring, counselling, training and consulting, and it takes the form of a series of planned one-to-one interactions between a professional coach and a coachee. In HE, the coachee might be a leader or manager such as a Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Dean, Head of School or Department, or a stand-alone professional, such as a Lecturer or Researcher and indeed the HEA supplies coaches for individuals in every one of these roles.
We offer a range of new coaching products and services. As part of the coaching offer we are promoting one-to-one coaching for those at executive level, as well as a range of group masterclasses and workshops that introduce the concept of Coaching for Excellence. Our coaching opportunities are specifically aimed at those who teach and support learning in Higher Education; with over 12 years experience supporting HE professionals the HEA are ideally placed to support you with your coaching development.
Coaching has clear benefits at organisational, individual and team levels, including:
- Improved sense of direction and focus;
- Increased knowledge of self/self-awareness;
- Improved ability to relate to and influence others;
- Increased motivation;
- Improved personal effectiveness e.g. focused effort;
- Increased resourcefulness / resilience e.g. ability to handle change.