The Higher Education Academy has developed a full suite of training and coaching opportunities to support your personal and professional development in your learning and teaching career. Whatever your discipline specialism or institutional context we hope you will find something of interest in our programme. Following feedback from the sector, we are now able to offer even more ways to engage with us, including:
What makes the
Higher Education Academy unique
We provide your staff with development opportunities which are aligned to the internationally recognised Professional Standard Framework (PSF) and so participation in these programmes contributes valuable evidence in personal HEA Fellowship applications. Our professional development is created and delivered by both experts within the HEA and with our extensive network of consultants from the sector. This fosters an environment for exploring novel concepts and innovative pedagogies. All of our training has been designed complement your insitution's own workforce development activity and to address the teaching needs of individuals at relevant points in their career.
Workshops focus on detailed aspects of professional practice in relation to discipline-specific needs and sector themes.
Getting to grips with the specifics of assessment, retention, employability, academic writing, pedagogical research, teaching international students and simulation.
Career defining opportunities
We run a number of well established residential programmes aimed to support Programme Leaders up to Vice-Chancellors in developing their own and their institutions teaching quality. These courses provide individuals with a setting to:
- explore changes within the sector;
- develop confidence and skills;
- develop leadership skills;
- share their best practice with peers.
We can provide your staff with development opportunities delivered within your institution, with a number of benefits:
- Cost-effective learning for up to 20 people;
- Focused on the needs of your institution;
- Specialist trainers, coaches and practitioners;
- Standard open programmes and workshops delivered in-house;
- Tailored courses designed to meet your institution's needs
- Conveniently delivered on your premises to fit in with your timescales and needs;
- Save on staff travel time and travel expenses;
- Mixed-method approaches – masterclasses, workshops, action learning sets, online and blended learning.
The in-house training programmes are based on open HEA programmes that can be brought into your institution to address your specific needs. They can be tailored to tackle particular areas of staff development, working with you to build a programme which will be beneficial to both your staff and your institution.
- Grow Your Skills in Teaching Academic Writing Workshop
- Grow Your Skills in Pedagogic Research Workshop
- Principal Fellows Writing Retreat
- The Teaching Excellence Framework and Me Workshop
- Higher and Degree Apprenticeships Workshop
- Facilitating Learning using Simulation in Health
- Teaching Excellence Programme (TEP)
- Academic Leadership Programme (ALP)
Coaching is separate and distinct from mentoring, counselling, training and consulting, and it takes the form of a series of planned one-to-one interactions between a professional coach and a coachee. In HE, the coachee might be a leader or manager such as a Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Dean, Head of School or Department, or a stand-alone professional, such as a Lecturer or Researcher and indeed the HEA supplies coaches for individuals in every one of these roles.
We offer a range of new coaching products and services. As part of the coaching offer we are promoting one-to-one coaching for those at executive level, as well as a range of group masterclasses and workshops that introduce the concept of Coaching for Excellence. Our coaching opportunites are specifically aimed at those who teach and support learning in Higher Education; with over 12 years experience supporting HE professionals the HEA are ideally placed to support you with your coaching development.
Coaching has clear benefits at organisational, individual and team levels, including:
- Improved sense of direction and focus;
- Increased knowledge of self/self-awareness;
- Improved ability to relate to and influence others;
- Increased motivation;
- Improved personal effectiveness e.g. focused effort;
- Increased resourcefulness / resilience e.g. ability to handle change.