The outcomes of participating on the Academic Leadership Programme will be:
- An emphasis on working collaboratively and collegially;
- The adoption of an explore, challenge and apply approach to change in higher education;
- The establishment of a ‘non-deficit’ development model of professional development;
- The importance of working creatively but also working towards practical outcomes;
- The acquisition of a range of approaches, tools, skills and knowledge appropriate to becoming a successful academic head;
- An appreciation of how these approaches and techniques can support one’s own professional development but also the professional development of colleagues in one’s own department;
- A network of contacts with others in the sector facing similar opportunities and challenges;
- Experience of addressing a specific leadership challenge and delivering a successful solution.
"Having experienced the journey of course design together, our group of academics and academic developers, now feel that we have created a programme which addresses the very current needs of HE providers both in terms of knowledge, skill set and reflective space needed by existing and emerging leaders.”
Dr Emma Mayhew, Associate Professor, University of Reading
The Academic Leadership Programme consists of six modules over the course of six months which move away from the traditional management training practices towards instilling and supporting values needed in effective leadership roles:
- Module 1 - Devolving Leadership
- Module 2 - Making Things Happen Differently; Turning Problems into Opportunities
- Module 3 - Involving Students
- Module 4 - Rationale for Change
- Module 5 - Reward and Recognition; Investing in Scholarship
- Module 6 - Building Credibility and Trust, and Marketing the Department
Delivering the programme in-house
The Higher Education Academy can provide your staff with development opportunities delivered within your institution, with a number of benefits:
- Cost-effective learning for up to 20 people;
- Focused on the needs of your institution;
- Specialist trainers, coaches and practitioners;
- Standard open programmes and workshops delivered in-house;
- Conveniently delivered on your premises to fit in with your timescales;
- Save on staff time and travel expenses;
- Mixed-method approaches – masterclasses, workshops, action learning sets, online and blended learning.
Who should attend?
Designed specifically for the next generation of academic leaders including heads of department and heads of academic sections or equivalent.
“The Academic Leadership Programme is highly interactive and discursive but leads to very practical outcomes including the development of very confident and competent academic heads.”
Steve Outram, Facilitator of the ALP and HEA Associate
Are you unsure if this programme is for you?
- 1 to 1 consultation with a friendly advisor
- Guidance for all roles in teaching and learning in HE, from technicians to Vice-Chancellors
- Help to identify your development needs, whether you are looking to develop in your role, have a particular challenge or are striving for a promotion.
Who is delivering the programme?
A distinctive and unique feature of this programme is that it has been developed by, and will be delivered by, senior academic colleagues in the sector who have experienced the challenges that any new head of department or section faces.
These colleagues have been carefully selected not only for their knowledge and experience but also for their abilities to reflect critically on these experiences and for their remarkable facilitation skills in supporting others.
The course brings a number of benefits to both participants and the institution as a whole:
Benefits to the participant
Benefits to the institution
Increasing your practical and critical understanding of becoming an effective head of an academic department or section in the context of learning and teaching
An opportunity to develop confident and effective academic heads and teaching and learning leaders who are able to cascade their learning to others in their departments
Giving you greater confidence in engaging with, influencing and supporting colleagues within one’s own department or section as well as championing the department or section within an institution and externally
Support staff to grow as leaders in their institutions in the key area of heading learning and teaching and transforming professional practice
Encouraging you to develop an enhanced awareness of strengths - individual participants can develop further both in themselves and others as they grow as leaders in higher education
Providing an efficient means for leading learning and teaching enhancement policies and practices at a local level
The opportunity to enhance your continuing professional development
Investment in the continuing professional development of your staff, providing an effective and transparent record of professional development and supporting the creation of a cadre of HEA Senior Fellows